Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger




Susan from Must Love Junk, and myself wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before.   So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.

Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs.  You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Susan's and my blog. 
Mary from My dogs My Garden And Mary
June 7

This week's spotlight is of Mary from My Dogs My Garden and Mary blog.  Mary is fairly new to blogland and has a beautiful blog.  So after getting to know Mary in Spotlight please hop over to check our her blog.  Mary has become a very good friend to me and my blog.  You will love getting to know her.




First, I would like to thank Kris from "JUNK CHIC COTTAGE" for featuring me today as part of her Saturday Spotlight:  "LIFE BEHIND THE BLOGGER SERIES".  I feel so honored to be asked since I am so new to blogging.

My name is Mary Ferguson of mydogsmygardenandmary.  I was born in Clifton Forge, Virginia.  My mother was visiting her sister and the farm where she was born, when mom went into labor before she was due and I made my early entrance.  My parents were living in Cleveland, Ohio.

Every summer I would spend my vacation between my Aunt Nell's house and the farm in Springwood, Virginia.  Oh, what fun I had and the wonderful memories with my cousins, swimming in the James River, picking cherries and playing all day.


Graduation picture

After graduation and living in the cold Midwest, until I was 21, I wanted to go where it was warm - so being very adventurous my girlfriend and I hit the road for sunny California.  We had so much fun traveling across country and seeing the sights. I got a great job in Los Angeles and met my Prince Charming and got married.
But that only lasted 8 years and then we divorced.  We had a wonderful son, Shaun who lives in Los Gatos, CA along with his daughter Kelly.  Kelly will be 12 in October and of course is grandma's girl.


Kelly and Shaun in Hawaii having a wonderful hamburger.

I was a stay-at-home mom until Shaun turned 5 years old and then I had to go to work to support my son and father.  Eventually I worked my way up to Director of Sales and Catering in the hotel industry for 14 years.  I have to say I loved my jobs and my career path took me to many famous places and a introduction to a wealth of interesting people.  Met President Ford and numerous entertainers that stayed at the hotel.

My home is a little yellow cottage in Fullerton, CA, and was built in 1955.  My room mates are, Waldo - a Border Collie and Lili a Dalmatian/Lab mix.  Both of my dogs were rescued and are my best friends.



Waldo and Lili taking a nap


Waiting for their dinner - looks like they are starving LOL



Opportunity knocked on my door to go and work for a large manufacturing company that made
fabricating equipment.  They offered me the position of Trade Show Manager and Meeting Planner.  I also managed their Travel Department and set-up all in house shows, trade shows, and all employees and customers travel arrangements.  Through this job I was able to travel to many countries and throughout the United States.

I was appointed the first woman chairperson for the Society of Manufacturing Engineers and Metal Forming Association for exhibits.  I felt very honored to hold this position since it was a "good old boys industry", yea for women!

My employment lasted over 19 years and then I was laid off due to 9/11 and the very slow economy.  150 jobs were lost due to many of our customers losing their businesses.  I then settled into retirement (which I hated) so I threw myself into gardening and re-decorating my home.  But, after 4 months I needed to go back to work as I was so bored.  I had a little craft business "Fergies Fineries" , which I did very well, but I missed being around people.  So back to hotel sales for 5 more years.  I have to say I loved my job, and was very happy meeting people and traveling again.

But as fate would have it I became very ill and ended up the the hospital with pneumonia, kidney failure, asthma and bronchitis.  WOW was I ever sick!  But I got well only to find out that I now had COPD.  You know that commercial with the elephant is sitting on your chest - well when that hits you, you have to take it easy and rest.


My hydrangea's in bloom - very early this year - the white ones are the mopheads




Again, here we go  - I was so bored and my dearest friend Phyllis from"aroundthehouse" got me interested in reading her blog and a few others.  Loved reading all the blogs but I didn't know how to post.  One day Phyllis came over and we sat down at my computer and spent hours teaching me how to post.  I can truly say that I love this terrific journey, meeting so many wonderful, caring people.  I have only been posting for 16 months and I can't image not blogging.  It has renewed my interest in so many interesting things.


My dinning and living rooms





Just a few of my roses that the wind and HOT weather didn't destroy along with Feverfew flowers.  I like the Feverfew flowers as fillers for my bouquets.

Again, thank you Kris for Spotlighting me on "LIFE BEHIND THE BLOGGERS SERIES"


Thank you Mary for sharing your personal side with us.  Love Waldo and Lili they are too adorable.  Now that you have gotten to know Mary please hop over to Susan's blog and meet another wonderful blogger Donna Distressed Donna Down Home.
Have a great Saturday everyone.
Kris
:)

33 comments

  1. Mary lives very near my childhood playground. As a SoCal gal I recognize so many of her flowers/plants from my growing up years, beauty that we cannot grown here in AZ. It's nice to meet Mary and I'm sure I will enjoy her blog, I'm heading there now! Thank you, Kris for sharing her blog! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her cute cottage home. Love the yellow. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kris. Well, I have been following Mary and learned lots about her here that I didn't know. She is a wonderful person and I am happy to see her here. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary and I have southern California in common and follow one another, but I learned so much more today. Thanks for featuring Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another new blogger intro for me - thank you, Kris! Mary, I'll be right over!
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I've been reading Mary's blog for a little while now and I love it! She has the most beautiful colors in her home. So neat to learn the back story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to meet, Mary! I love her California cottage. Such a beautiful garden. I can understand the needing to work/be around people. I just went back to work part-time for that reason ~ feeling the need to be around people, although I had a 2 1/2 year break! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris, it was nice to meet Mary - I have not read her blog before. What an interesting life she has led. Love the furry buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris, Mary's home is so sweet. Her dogs look content. I see porch gardens like Mary's and I want one. LOL. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, it's so nice meeting you and learning more about you! Thank you for sharing :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading about Mary and her life seeing her dogs and house .
    I am so sorry she has C O P D , another smoker I know has it and she suffers I hope Mary doesn't suffer much



    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed learning more about Mary and her career and I love her rose garden and dogs! Thanks so much for this series.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following Mary and her wonderful blog for a while now and she has become a sweet friend! I so enjoyed seeing some lovely personal photos of her and her family. Mary's home is charming and I always feel welcomed on her blog. Thanks for featuring her today; so enjoyed this post!

    Happy Sunday!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary is such a sweet lady! And I would say she deserves her retirement!

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kris, Mary is such a beautiful person and I count her as one of my dearest friends in blogland. It was great to learn a bit more about her and her fabulous career. So glad she was in the spotlight here. She so deserves this.
    Have a great week Kris

    Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Mary is a dear!!!...I love her blog and her gorgeous gardens!!...So nice to see her here and get to know her better!...Great feature Kris!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I loved reading about Mary. She is a wonderful lady and one of my sweetest blog friends. Thank you for sharing her story.

    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I loved reading about Mary. She is a wonderful lady and one of my sweetest blog friends. Thank you for sharing her story.

    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fascinating life you've lived Mary - with such high profile jobs - LOVED reading this !!!
    Your garden is what dreams are made of :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the post Mary, your pictures are becoming just so professional, loved the one on the front porch with the quilt, every detail perfect, loved it...the flowers looked wonderful and I think you did an incredible job on the story telling of your life...so real and easy to read...thank you for being my best friend over all these years, after the dogs of course...lol..phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Phyl for the lovely comments. Yes, we have been best friends for over 40 years and have had some wonderful fun memories.
      I can't thank you enough for getting me interested in blogging. I have met some incredible bloggers, who I feel I have known for a long time.
      Have a fun week.
      Mar

      Delete
  21. such an interesting life story! thanks for sharing this new to me blog, kris!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was great getting to meet Mary. She is obviously someone who wants to live a fulfilling life! So sorry to hear that her health sidelined her goals. But, it's good for us to now have her blogging. I once worked in the manufacturing industry alongside engineers. It can be such a tough place to work in when the economy sinks. I've experienced that same situation before of the company cutting back. I don't miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments Kelly. Then you know how hard it is working with engineers and especially being a woman. I did love my job, never a dull moment. Thanks so much for stopping by.
      Mary

      Delete
  23. Mary it is so nice to learn more about you and visit your charming garden and home- can't leave out meeting precious Waldo and Lilli.
    Thank you for sharing your life, home, garden and beloved best friends Waldo and Lili. Your garden is lovely and your home so pretty and beautifully decorated.
    Blessings, Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin. I have always enjoyed your posts so much and glad that you like my little country cottage garden.
      Have a great week.
      Mary

      Delete
  24. Hi Kris: I've known Mary for awhile now and enjoy her posts always. But, this service that you do for all of us is such a treat. I found out things I really didn't know about Mary. She is such a sweet person and now, I'm glad to know a little more about her. Mary, you have really led a full life my girl. It was so interesting to hear about your life and jobs and the important people you have met. I don't even think I knew you had a granddaughter and such a beauty she is.Your garden shows all the love you put into it and I'm totally in love, myself, with Waldo and Lili.Thank you so much for sharing your life with us and thanks, as always, to Kris..Happy Tuesday..Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mary, I have always thought you were such a sweet and talented lady. I loved learning more about you and so happy that you are on the road to recovery! Your home and gardens are gorgeous and I love your pooches!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for featuring Mary, Kris! I have been following her for some time and really love her! And of course I also love her sweet pups and gorgeous gardens! It was great getting to know more about her, and the exciting career she had, too! She is a real sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for featuring Mary. She is a sweetheart. Love her blot. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a life you have had Mary. How wonderful to have had a varied career that lead you in so many interesting directions including meeting a President. Waldo and Lili are adorable and your home and garden are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary...I'm so late but glad I caught this feature on you. What an exciting career you've had. Something I could only have dreamed of! I don't think I've seen so much of your home or garden before. Everything is so pretty. It doesn't look like anything can ever really slow you down, I admire you.

    I hope you came back to read this. I also sent an email.

    Thank you, Kris, for featuring Mary. She is a doll!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

sponsor